The Beauty Society

The Beauty Society
"Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it." - Maya Angelou

Thursday, April 4, 2013

How to Chalk your hair

I think it must be THE mid age crisis that made me suddenly want to blond my hair.
I desperately wanted to go wild before I turn old and haggardly to carry off insanity of any levels.

So! I started googling for 'funky colours' or 'blond colour' visuals so I can show my stylist what shade of blond and to better imagine how I would look with the new style.

And I happened to stumble upon information on hair chalking. It seems we can temporarily colour our hair with multiple funky bright colours using chalk! No bleach required and apparently, chalk is safe and non-toxic.

Then my brain started whirring and thinking where in hell does Spore sell funky coloured chalks??!
I used trusty Google again and nothing much came up. In the end I got tired and gave up.
I think these sort of weird stuffs are not as popular here in Spore compared to the US.

Then one day, as I was shopping in Daiso, I found a box of coloured chalks. At that point, I didn't know it was chalk. Not till I read the material, which said: Calcium Carbonate and went back to google 'What is chalk made of' that I confirmed it is indeed  the same material!!

YAY! 

As we all know, Daiso sells stuff at $2. So the box of beautiful pastel shades of 18 colours cost only $2! (I'm very sure if I had been able to find hair chalk in other art supplies store, they definitely don't come this cheap and in so many colours!!!)

But first, here's how to chalk your hair:

1. Use gloves if you don't want to stain your hands. And you'll also need water spray bottle and a protective towel/cape to protect your clothing.

2. Wet hair so that the chalk pigment will adhere to our hair strands better. But if you are blond, you may just want to colour dry if you don't want the chalk colour to stay in longer.

3. Colour hair downwards and if you want a more even colouring, twist/turn hair to cover the underside of the hair too. Or else, get creative and colour it any way you imagine that it will look good at the end!

4. You can choose to air dry or blow dry (at low setting so we don't blow off the chalk)

5. You can further set in the colour by using a curling thong or flat iron, in which the heat further seals in the colour and minimises bleeding. Use a hair spray for a longer lasting style especially if you choose to curl your hair!

6. The colour will generally go off after one wash unless your hair is very porous (meaning that it has undergone a few chemical processes a few times)

So if your hair is very black, and you are worried the colour won't come out as vibrant, use a white base chalk before going over with the coloured ones.

So, I tried 2 colours; turquoise and pink! And this is how it turned out!

Pardon the messy hair for I just got out of bed and that also explains the bare face. Hahahhaaa

Hair Chalking Effect

































Great for parties and go crazy with those gorgeous rainbow colours and look FUNKY for the camera!!

Love,
Gerra
Xo

1 comment:

fantasticbaby said...

Sorry about it but may i know what you mean by chemical processes? I reborn my hair a few times. If reborn the coloured hair, when wash it will be gone rite?